Monday, November 5, 2007

The Scales of Our Eyes

I did it again. Today at work they sent a new temp worker. He smelled like alcohol. Not like he had been drinking already, but that smell that comes out in their sweat. Being in construction I am around people that smell like that quite often.

I judged him off the bat. I never gave him a chance in my mind. Of course when you do this they will never be a good worker in your mind, no matter how hard they work. This poor guy was told to do something, he messed it up. I mumbled under my breath, something about his intelligence or lack there of.

It was at this point that I caught myself. He probably just didn't hear all the instructions, it was loud in there. Maybe he was afraid to ask for clarification, it was his first day. So, I just kept working and kicking myself. Finally I said a prayer for this guy and asked God to forgive me. After all, who knows what is going on in his life?

At lunch I went out to my truck. Recently I was given some copies of sermons from our church. I decided to listen to some of these sermons while I was sitting there. Keep in mind that I normally don't do this, usually I am talking to Annette on the phone, but she could not talk today.

In the sermon, Richard began talking about alcoholics and addicts. That is when it hit me, right between the eyes. He pointed out that all that separates a Christian from someone going through these kind of trials is the grace of God! I stopped then and there and thanked God for His grace, for keeping me out of these kind of situations.

After lunch, this person's work got much better. Not because he was working harder or better, but because the scales were off my eyes.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you know I think we all are guilty of passing judgement here and there, that really spoke to me.

Monday, November 05, 2007 8:36:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

amen.

Monday, November 05, 2007 9:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Layout by Annette @ Show Them Through Me