Friday, November 2, 2007

Roots

I was studying the book of Daniel yesterday. Chapter one to be exact. As I read about the royal official giving Daniel and his counterparts new names, I could not help but think of the old mini-series, "Roots". I kept picturing LeVar Burton tied up and some one beating him yelling "What's your name?" LeVar's character returned saying "My name is Kunta Kinte". It was at this point that he would be given the unfortunate end of a whip. Then the entire process would repeat. The slave owner was tyring to get him to change his name to Toby.

Now this example is an extreme, but the point is that he stayed true as did Daniel. Granted, Daniel was not beaten, he was however captured and an attempt was made to assimilate him into his new surroundings. Daniel asked for and was granted permission to stay true. He was even given the opportunity to prove his beliefs several times. God took Daniel's faithfulness and glorified Himself. In the process Daniel received great rewards.

How many times have we tried to fit in to our surroundings only to deny God and the opportunities that He has set before us? It's human nature to want to fit in with the crowd, to be accepted. Most of the time we are to afraid to stand up and say anything. The fear of being laughed at or scoffed is greater than the fear of God.

I must admit that I am guilty of this very offense. Many times I have been around 'the guys' and the conversation turns to something vile or sinful. Wanting to fit in I would just join right in. Most of the time these guys knew that I went to church. What kind of witness was that? I was denying my roots and my beliefs.

Lately, I have become more sensitive to these situations. I no longer participate in them. I now let it be known not that I 'go to church', but that I am a Christian. If they don't like that too bad. If they want to know more about my beliefs, I'll be over here away from that and I'll be glad to talk to you. My name is Jeff and I believe in Christ Jesus.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Andrew and Christ is my LORD, no man blood or friend will be above Him. His word says if you love your daughter more than Christ you are not worthy of Him. It's my belief, (after thinking of this in the Spirit), that we are not truly loving anyone if we place them above our LORD. It's when we acknowledge the fact that ALL creation is His and therefor as the FATHER; His love surpasses ALL. Just as He is the King of kings, His love is the Love of loves. Therefor my conclusion is this: Showing His love rather than our love is true love.

Friday, November 02, 2007 9:13:00 AM  
Blogger Lance said...

I love this. It reminds of the Christian martyrs. I am going to start writing a history of the martyrs you might find interesting. Would you like to exchange links. I really enjoy your blog.
God bless,
Lance

Friday, November 02, 2007 7:54:00 PM  
Blogger Lance said...

jgargus2@comcast.net is my email

Friday, November 02, 2007 7:54:00 PM  
Blogger Lance said...

www.lancessoulsearching.com

Friday, November 02, 2007 7:55:00 PM  
Blogger Lance said...

Thanks for the add.
Your insight on your blog is awesome.

Friday, November 02, 2007 9:18:00 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Jeff,

Let me first say that I applaud your honesty and bravery!!! Your being so open is another rarity so thank you for sharing this with us.

I don't know how to describe how I felt when you said 'you have become more sensitive to the situation' except complete and total happiness!!! Sure, you may have joined in with the rough talk (flesh speaking) but when you said the above...that has Christ written all over it!!! (the Spirit speaking) I mean this is cold, hard evidence that He is working in you and I'm just so happy for you and happy that He is God period!

I just found your site and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Blessings,
Carol

Friday, November 02, 2007 10:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Layout by Annette @ Show Them Through Me