Sunday, November 4, 2007

Today

Today I will receive the greatest blessing of my life. After church Annette and I will exchange vows. No elaborate ceremony, no fancy dress, not even a cake. We wanted it that way. We wanted the focus to be on our vows to one another.

We went to get our marriage license the other day. We told the clerk that we would like this to be a covenant marriage. That is basically an agreement that we will only divorce under certain circumstances. It eliminates any 'no fault' divorce. To our dismay, we forgot to get the paper work from our pastor stating that we had been through the necessary pre-marital counseling, which is required for a covenant marriage.

"No problem" said the clerk,"I'll just fill out everything else and you can bring back the rest tomorrow." We brought it back. She had everything ready to go. All we had to do was get the agreement notarized and she happened to be a notary.

As we left with the license in hand, I read it over. I could not help but think of all the years that we had known each other. All the hardship we had been through, both separately and together. How the first story of our lives was ending and how Sunday our sequel would begin.

3 Comments:

Blogger TMM said...

I just saw both of your blogs...=) Glory to God! I see one flesh here...

I love your blog design...=)

I shall read through the rest of the posts later. I shall bookmark your site. God bless

~Sidharth
TWJ Ministries

Sunday, November 04, 2007 10:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations, jeff!!!

Monday, November 05, 2007 4:13:00 AM  
Blogger Not Alone +++ PAS said...

You truly have received a great gift, however, it is not the greatest gift. The greatest gift was when you received Christ in Baptism. If you really want to benefit from this gift of your wife, you must first remember that she must always be counted as your second greatest gift, even as she must count you as second also. This understanding changes everything.

I am sad to hear the defintion of a covenant for divorce. You need to eliminate this from your thinking. This is in direct contradiction to the blessing of marriage and the vows that you both embraced.

Rather, even though the paperwork is already in place, in your hearts and minds agree not to allow that word in your house or in your thoughts. Treat the D word as a form of blasphemy and as a curse. Then if it ever does arise you simply say, "Nope. I don't know that word. Forgiveness. Unity in Christ. This is what I know."

Monday, November 05, 2007 2:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Layout by Annette @ Show Them Through Me