Sunday, October 21, 2007

Of pride and shame

I was recently reading the blog "By the Word of Our Testimony." In it Diane was discussing pride and shame. Pride seems to be the root of many of our sins. When we become proud, our focus goes away from God. Have you ever fixed your eyes on something on the side of the road while driving? When you look back to the road, you've drifted to that side. Pride sits on the side of the road waiting for us to drift.

The life of David is a prime example. At times he was swollen with pride. He was the king, others placed him on a pedestal. Sometimes it appears that he enjoyed this position. Then just when it seems like everyone around him should be rolling their eyes, pride vanishes and is replaced with shame and regret. Look at the story of Bathsheba. He saw what he wanted and took it. Then, too proud to admit his mistakes, he tries to fix the problem himself. There is that pride again which of course leads to more sin.

This was not what was in his heart though. Look at his early life. Here was as man, a boy actually, when anointed by God through Samuel. He went from being a Shepard to anointed future king in one day. Yet through this he remained humble to Saul and served him dutifully. Honestly, had it been me, I would have gotten the big head, "Move over Saul, it's my turn." David just waited patiently, learning from his predecessor.

In the end, he always humbled himself to God. Cried out to Him. What amazes me is that he is still considered one of the great men of faith.

In my life, pride has caused me to take many detours. More than I care to admit if the truth be told. Now I sit back and look, if I had just gotten rid of the pride, I would have been at this point long ago.

Labels: ,