Friday, November 23, 2007

The Spirit of Saving a Buck

Now that Thanksgiving is behind us, its time for the world to go completely nuts. I'm talking about Christmas.

To be honest, I've never been crazy about it. Not that I am a Scrooge or anything, its just that people absolutely loose their minds for one month of the year. They get so busy trying to get here or there and plan for the big day, the reason for the celebration is lost. The funny thing about it is that almost everyone says that we need to "remember the reason for the season." The word 'we' includes one's self. Guess what, if you get busy planning your party or trying to buy the perfect gift that someone wants, you've probably forgot the reason. Fighting a crowd for the hot new toy for your children is not honoring God. Its not about parties and gifts, its about one gift! The gift God gave us two-thousand years ago.

I watched images on T.V. today of sale crazed people rushing into stores to get a good deal. One local station covered it live, there was a steady stream of people entering the store for seventeen full minutes. This was at five in the morning. These shoppers had started arriving at three o'clock. If you stand for two hours in freezing temperatures are you remembering?

Personally, I don't like standing in line, freezing temperatures or getting trampled to save a couple of bucks. As a rule, if I wake up before the rooster, it is for emergency purposes only.

I will admit the two things I like about Christmas are the lights and exchanging of gifts. As I sit here, I can see the neighbors lights and there is just something magical about it, no matter how big and fancy. Actually, the smaller simpler displays are better to me. Too many and it just seems over done. If you have to hire an electrician to build your display, then you probably are the same type that goes out at three a.m. to shop.

As for the gifts, I like seeing the excitement on people's faces when they open them. For myself, I would rather get something small and from the heart than a big expensive gift. I view gift giving not as getting something the person wants, but something you want them to have. Sometimes the best gift is a simple item that you never thought about for yourself, it's one that another thought you should have. That is truly giving from your heart.

So while you are out shopping and planning, think about the gift you where given by God, Jesus. This is a gift that is truly from the heart. And the best thing is, it can be re-gifted infinitely.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi jeff. i posted something on my blog and i need your prayers. please stand with me in agreement. thank you so much!

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Layout by Annette @ Show Them Through Me